Ophthalmology Research Interests:
- Progression of glaucoma,
- Clinical trials (UK Glaucoma Treatment Study)
- Imaging & diagnostic technologies
- Epidemiology of Open and Closed Angle Glaucoma and Shared Care
- Cataract Surgery
- Epidemiology of Eye Disease
- Global glaucoma; Global uncorrected refractive error
- Pakistan National Eye Survey: Clinical ophthalmology coordinator.
- Bangladesh National Eye Survey: Clinical ophthalmology coordinator.
- Greenland: angle-closure glaucoma
- Thailand: first population-based glaucoma study
- Tanzania: epidemic optic neuropathy
- Expedition Medicine
- Altitude retinopathy; IOP at altitude; Expedition medicine preparation
Professor Rupert Bourne has been awarded more than £4million in research grants to support research into glaucoma and population eye health